Minecraft Server Suggestions, Problems, and Potential Improvements

After playing numerous hours on the NN Minecraft server, constructing a town and scouting out potential outposts, as well as discovering the End portal (on accident), we have a few suggestions for the server that we think would create a better experience for everyone involved.

General Gameplay Improvements:

• PVE & PVP:

In regards to how PVE and PVP is handled currently on the server, there seems to be a good balance. Our suggestion to further improve the gameplay experience would be separate the two so both PVE and PVP can have plugins and other features that while providing a better experience for the PVE/PVP playstyle don’t ruin the balance of the other playstyle as well. An example would be the Punix controversy over the Infernal Mobs plugin, in which the mob drops were deemed OP in PVP so they were removed from the server, as well as PVE. As far as we know, however, the plugin is being balanced and will return.
Separating the two might be a better idea when the server receives more traffic or a higher demand for a given playstyle arises as separating PVE and PVP may require more resources to implement.

• Purchasable Towny Claim Bonuses:

Currently on the server the only way to claim more land is to have more citizens join your town and join/create a nation. We currently own a town that cannot expand any further to gain more land to build more structures. As towny already has a command meant for purchasing bonus claims, this would allow towns with expendable income to expand their borders and continue to prosper. This would also provide another use for the current economy plugin as it is only used for buying from the shop or trading with other players.
In terms of balance, one would want to consider scaling prices for bonuses based on how large a town is in terms of residents, as well as the amount of bonus claims they have already purchased. This way there aren’t any towns or nations that dominate the server.

• Achieving Ranks through playtime/in-game currency purchases:

Ranks that not only provide a sense of pride to veteran players but also improve player qualities of life and give goals to new players could help maintain the lifetime of the playerbase. Achieving certain ranks that allow players access to (for example) an additional home or give access to a command of another plugin will provide players with goals as well as a reward for their efforts for playing on the server for an extended period of time.
By making rank ups only obtainable through playtime an AFK kicker plugin (such as JustAFK) may be required to prevent players from ranking up without actually earning it. On the other hand with purchasable ranks, however, a close eye on exploits may be necessary as there is bound to be some loophole to gain currency quickly. While writing this I came across a plugin that can do this very thing called AutoRank.

• Job Promotions/Advancements:

As jobs stand currently you can only actively have one job. While this isn’t entirely an issue, there can be ways to improve the system to make it not feel so limiting, as it is your main source of income. A good way to make players want to invest in their job and stay in it is to provide promotions for that job. As you level up you make more money for what you do, but a lot more can be done with this. For example perhaps at level 25 Miner you receive an upgrade to your job allowing you to receive money and xp for repairing tools/armor and smelting the ores you mine. While these are already provided in other jobs it makes a player’s job an important and valuable asset to them that they can improve and expand upon overtime by continuing to do what they do best. Currently, a player doesn’t lose very much from leaving their job besides level and the small income boost that leveling their job brings.

Fixes:

• Shops

Currently the pricing in the shops need some more attention and improvements. One can become rich by selling planks because the sell price for logs and planks aren’t equal. 16 logs gives the player $100, while 16 planks gives the player $50, so turning logs into planks will double the player’s income.
The ore shop seems unbalanced in its current state. The buying price for a nether star is $40,000, while the price for 16 diamonds is $150,000, but the sell price for both of those items are the same. Nether stars are much more rare than 16 diamonds, it doesn’t seem logical for a nether star to be worth less than 16 diamonds as that amount of diamonds can be accrued from a fortune pickaxe easily. Also, 16 emeralds cost $15,000 but the sell price $400, the same amount if one were to sell 16 pieces of lapis or iron ingots. The sell price doesn’t seem balanced because emeralds are far more rare than either of those ores. This also doesn’t encourage the player to sell to the shops as a source of income, but to avoid them and find a better deal elsewhere.
In conclusion, the shop needs to be adjusted to prevent exploits and provide players with an incentive to sell to the shop. We only provided a few examples of things that need an adjustment, and there may be more we are unaware of.

We do understand that the NN Minecraft Server Administrators are hard at work on the server and we respect that! This post is only meant to provide suggestions, keep track of problems, and list potential improvements to the server.

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider this,

Buhgok and KrazedKirb :slight_smile:

My answers are in black.

Overall very good ideas and than you for posting this.

I replied in hot pink

General Gameplay Improvements:

• PVE & PVP:

Separating the two might be a better idea when the server receives more traffic or a higher demand for a given playstyle arises as separating PVE and PVP > may require more resources to implement> .

I like this but we dont have any more room on the box or the cod servers will lag.
I figured that would be an issue if you guys tried to implement that early on. I imagined that with possible future donations to the server that it could become possible. That is why I said that it would probably be better after the server receives more traffic, but I completely get why it wouldn’t be.

• Purchasable Towny Claim Bonuses:

This would also provide another use for the current economy plugin as it is only used for buying from the shop or trading with other players.
In terms of balance, one would want to consider scaling prices for bonuses based on how large a town is in terms of residents, as well as the amount of bonus claims they have already purchased. This way there aren’t any towns or nations that dominate the server.

Good idea but is it legal?
I figure it would be. Sorry for any confusion but I strictly meant in game currency, not real world money. For example you raise money from your job to purchase a bonus claim so your town can have an outpost. That sort of thing. It should be okay because you’re not paying real money for in-game items, just using the currency you accumulated for your job to buy bonus claims in the Towny plugin.

• Achieving Ranks through playtime/in-game currency purchases:

Ranks that not only provide a sense of pride to veteran players but also improve player qualities of life and give goals to new players could help maintain the lifetime of the playerbase. Achieving certain ranks that allow players access to (for example) an additional home or give access to a command of another plugin will provide players with goals as well as a reward for their efforts for playing on the server for an extended period of time.
By making rank ups only obtainable through playtime an AFK kicker plugin (such as > JustAFK> ) may be required to prevent players from ranking up without actually earning it. On the other hand with purchasable ranks, however, a close eye on exploits may be necessary as there is bound to be some loophole to gain currency quickly. While writing this I came across a plugin that can do this very thing called > AutoRank> .

What kind of ranks are you having in mind? rank name, requirements etc?
I guess if you want an example then say a player joins for the first time. They are given the rank of [Guest] and after say 12hrs or so of in game play time they rank up to the rank of [Noob]. No rewards are given for the first two ranks because they are still pretty fresh players. So perhaps after a week of play time they rank up to [Casual] and then they gain access to another home they can set. That is sort of the idea I’m going for. Of course you can also make it so people can use the money they make from their jobs to purchase these ranks to do it faster (with in game currency once again, not real money). For example the [Noob] rank could be purchased for $1000 in game currency, and then the [Casual] rank could be bought with a price that you guys find equivalent to around 1 weeks playtime or however long you deem it. The big picture here is the more you play, the more you are rewarded for being a long time veteran and dedicated player on the server.

• Job Promotions/Advancements:

As jobs stand currently you can only actively have one job. While this isn’t entirely an issue, there can be ways to improve the system to make it not feel so limiting, as it is your main source of income. A good way to make players want to invest in their job and stay in it is to provide promotions for that job. As you level up you make more money for what you do, but a lot more can be done with this. For example perhaps at level 25 Miner you receive an upgrade to your job allowing you to receive money and xp for repairing tools/armor and smelting the ores you mine. While these are already provided in other jobs it makes a player’s job an important and valuable asset to them that they can improve and expand upon overtime by continuing to do what they do best. Currently, a player doesn’t lose very much from leaving their job besides level and the small income boost that leveling their job brings.

I’ll try to allow more jobs.
I appreciate the consideration, but I feel the need to elaborate on the point of the whole job promotion concept. Instead of allowing more jobs I think adding bits and pieces of other jobs into others might be the better way to go. Like I said with the miner example, after achieving a certain level in your job you can gain experience and money for smelting and repairing, something that seems rather normal for an avid miner to engage in. This way you don’t have to join a bunch of jobs but rather invest in the one that works with your play style the most. The big picture with that idea was once again player investment in whatever they decide to do on the server. Something that will make them have something to work towards and look forward to. So having more jobs is great, but once you join a job, there isn’t really much to look forward to besides gaining a couple cents more for whatever you do upon level up.

As for the shops, BuhGok should be working out some prices for you, as that was mainly his idea.

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider this,

Buhgok and KrazedKirb > :slight_smile:

Overall very good ideas and than you for posting this.
Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply! I hope I answered your questions and helped explain some things I was trying to say before a little bit better.

My reply is in red

I understand the shop i’ll try to get it fixed soon do you have a price in mind?

As it stands currently, most of the prices in the shop need to be balanced with each other and give players an incentive to buy and sell some items. I created a spreadsheet containing all the current prices of every item in the shop and an updated buy and sell price for each item. If you are confused on why some items are priced the way they are, please feel free to pm me and I will explain how I came up with what I did. We can also always negotiate what an item should be priced at, what is in the spreadsheet is a rough estimate based on what I think they should be.

Kirb & Buhgok for president.
Thanks for the input,
Seek for any changes in the near future or so.

Thanks
DeadWeight

The server is already too lit. idk how to make it better :smiley: :smiley: